Learning about the foundations for teaching English language
learners has opened my eyes to many factors that I will take into consideration
when teaching ELL students in the future. Through learning about the research,
theories, policies, and practices provided in the text, I feel as though the
information I’ve gained knowledge of will prove to be helpful in my teaching
career. In regards to my teaching philosophy, I feel as though this course has
made me stand even firmer in my belief that differentiating instruction to fit
the needs of students from every background is extremely important. From
understanding the diversity of ELLs to language and education policy for ELLS,
the depth in which teachers understand their ELL students across the board
matters. In chapter 1, Wright mentions several things teachers need to
understand about their ELL students. Among these include awareness of
linguistic diversity, knowing students’ ethnicity, building relationships with
students, cultural backgrounds, and understanding that not all ELLs are
immigrants (Wright, 2015). I believe that through building relationships with
my students, I will be able to do all of the things mentioned above.
While
I’m not sure what specific content area I will teach—because I will be certified
in all subjects—I found the second language methodology topic about assessments
to be very interesting and informative. More specifically, I found the
information about accommodations for ELLs to be very insightful due to the fact
that, “Providing tests in the ELLs’ native language or using other
accommodations is not as easy as it may seem” (Wright, 2015). Even more
surprising to me was that the two kinds of accommodations used for ELLs testing
of content material is access to testing in their L1 and simplifying the
language used on the test (Wright, 2019). I found this interesting because if
ELL students are given accommodations such as visual cues/representations,
manipulatives, read-to-self phones, word walls, etc. during instructional time
then it only feels right that they should be able to use these tools during
testing.
Lastly, I will say that the VBlog was a very different, but
effective and interesting way to learn from my classmates about the topics
discussed in class. It was informative because it allowed me to hear interviews
with all different kinds of ELLs and ELL teachers, as well as understand the
views that my peers had on the topics discussed throughout the course. The
assignments and time put into the blog posts were not ideal for someone who is
student teaching, working full time, and taking four other classes, but I felt
like I was able to learn a great deal through my peers nonetheless.
I enjoyed being able to receive feedback from my classmates and
reflect on the pieces of information that they cited because it allowed me to
think about things that maybe I wouldn’t have on my own. Learning about my classmates’
experiences with ELLs was also very interesting and made me want to learn more
about my father’s first language, which is Hindi. I delved deeper into my own
cultural background and learned some very interesting things that I will be
able to share with my students. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to
interact with my peers in this way and found it very beneficial to my learning.
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for
Teaching English Language Learners: Research,
Theory, Policy,
and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Thank you for an exemplary entry. I wonder how it feels to know that you are a student but you are also producing knowledge through your blog. After I read everybody's reflections and watch every video, I feel I am so fortunate to have the opportunity to learn so much from each one of you. What type of feedback did you receive from your classmates? Positive? How much do you think this type of feedback contribute to your learning? According to Wright (2015, p 119), "proper assessment is essential for identifying students' strengths and areas in need of improvement in their language proficiency and academic development."
ReplyDeleteI plan to use my blog as a part of my educational portfolio. I have learned so much through this course as well as Second-Language Acquisition and I feel as though this blog can continuously be used as a tool for myself throughout my teaching career. As well as content that I've produced, I've gotten the chance to learn from my peers. I've received great feedback and questions/ideas from other students that have deepened my understanding of SLA and SLM. One of the types of assessments Wright discussed was the "Portfolio Assessment" which, "...is a collection of work that demonstrates the student's progress and achievement" (Wright, 2015, pg. 143). I feel as though this blog can be seen in that same way.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition
Hello Mr. Pinto, I understand how you feel about differentiating for students. This course was very informative with how teachers can help ELL students. Wright talks about several methods teachers can take to help ELL students comprehend what is being taught by subject in chapter 10, such as providing hands on learning for math and science (Wright, 2015, p 263).
ReplyDeleteAside from testing students in their L2, like you mentioned, Wright also talks about how teachers can assess writing in Chapter 9. All students have a hard time with reaching grade-level writing, so Wright highlights how reading and writing goes hand in hand. One of the methods that positively affects ELL students’ writing and reading ability is story reading. It helps support ELL’s understanding of concepts of letters, word, sentence, and directionality (Wright, 2015, p 226). Hopefully, if you decide to teach Reading and Writing, you’ll remember the methods Wright talks about.
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition
Lam, thank you for your comments. I appreciate the methods that Wright mentions throughout the text that ELL teachers can use to help their students. One of the many that I enjoyed reading and learning about is modeled writing. Wright states that during modeled writing teachers demonstrate the writing process...producing a text in enlarged print on a writing easel, white board, chalk board, or overhead projector or on a computer projected screen so that all the students can see the text as it is being written" (Wright, 2015, p. 233). I've seen first hand how this helps ELLs in the classroom, because as Wright states, "...they [ELLs] lack models of proficient English writing at home. We as teachers should not assume, but take into consideration that ELLs do not have the exposure to English that we are used to and must therefore make accommodations for them.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition
Hey Danielle, thanks for replying to my comment! I agree that model writing is really great method to use when teaching students, especially ELL students how to write. Sometimes, when students get to see and read how teachers write it provides an example for them to follow when they are not confident in their writing yet. Another method for writing is shared writing. Shared writing consists of collaborative work between the student and teacher (Wright, 2015, p. 237). The reason I like this method is because while it helps the students, it also provides as a way for teachers to assess the level of writing that particular student is at.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Lam,
ReplyDeleteYou mentioned good quotes from Wright. I think teachers can sometimes forget that reading and writing go hand in hand, and do not understand why a student can proficiently read but fall behind in writing. By reading to the whole class, it exposes the students to writing styles and vocabulary. During a read aloud, it allows time for the teacher to explain those letters, words, and sentences. The teacher can make it interactive by having students turn and talk to a partner, and discuss what they just learned. I believe if students have a better understanding of how books are written, their writing will improve.
Thank you for your response Claire! Like you and Lam, I think Reading and Writing definitely go hand in hand--I often also think about how reading and writing utilized in ALL other subjects. Wright states that, "Students must read complex grade-level texts for a wide range of purposes not only in English language arts, but also in mathematics, science, and social studies" (Wright, 2015, p. 209). So often I find students struggling with math, and more often than not they are also the students who are struggling in reading and/or writing. Math requires stamina because there is so much reading involved. If students are struggling with reading they are going to find the the word problems and real world application problems very difficult. Wright mentions some instructional strategies such as note making guides like Cornell Notes and word study exercises/graphic organizers (Wright, 2015, p. 210).
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition
Hey Claire! Thanks for replying to my comment! I can understand the why the disproportionate level between reading and writing can be confusing, but that’s a matter of comprehension and writer’s craft. Most of the time, students writing skill and style matches that of what they read, however there are times when students are writing for a certain prompt where their background knowledge or lack there of affects how well they can write. It limits their knowledge in order to answer to the prompt. Peer and self-assessments help develop student’s writing skills. Wright says that “students should be involved in assessing their own writing and that of their peer,” because it allows them an opportunity to “evaluate their own writing” (Wright, 2015, p. 259).
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Danielle, thank you for sharing your perspective on the course. I too feel as though I have the knowledge to teach an ESL student and feel confident I can support then in their education. I liked how your emphasized differentiation and building a relationship and background knowledge about them and their culture. Wright (2015) states, “Although current accountability requirements do not mandate collecting data on students prior schooling, home language and literacy practices, or cultural backgrounds, teachers of ELLs should have this critical information to address the needs of this diverse population.” This rang so true to me and opened my eyes when recognizing ELLs or ESL students. We cannot lump all of them together and teach them, they all come from different places and walks in life, experiencing different things at different times. We their educators need to ensure their success, and we can only do this if we really get to know these students. Only then can we provide an adequate education.
ReplyDeleteHi Haylee, thank you for your comment! I truly do believe differentiating is so important for all students, especially ELLs, because lumping them together is not going to give them the education that they need. An example of differentiating that Wright gives is differentiating assessments and making them authentic for ELLs. Wright describes the assessments that effective teachers give ELLS as "alternative" and "authentic" because, "...they are unlike the standardized tests and traditional pencil-and-paper classroom-based tests created by teachers pulled from textbooks" and, "they more closely match the instructional practices in the classroom and they reflect the knowledge and skills ELLs need outside of the classroom" (Wright, 2015, p. 139). I think this is directly correlated to what you are saying about truly getting to know your students because then you will know their needs, know how to instruct them, and then know how to assess them.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition
ReplyDeleteHey Danielle, I completely agree with Haley we cannot lump all of the ELL students together. They definitely all learn differently come from a different place and have completely different lives to just consider that they are all the same. I too agree this class has helped me learn so much that I feel comfortable teaching ELL students. According to Wright (2015), "when teachers understand what it means to know a language, they can help their students develop the communicative competence needed for social and academic purposes in school and beyond" I feel we are all there now.
Hi Kate-lynn, thank you for your comment. I really think that effective teachers make an effort to get to know their students, and thus their instruction is tailored to fit the needs of their students. It's important to know what it takes to be an effective teacher so that we are able to make accommodations for our ELLs, and I know Wright covers various ways to do this. Wright (2015) says, "The easiest way to assess ELLs is simply to watch them". This speaks volumes to me because I know some teachers who think that it requires an extreme amount of extra work to figure out what kind of accommodations their ELLs need. Not only does watching your student help you assess your students, but it helps you get to know them better. Teachers can develop a relationship with their students this way and can realize just how different ELLs can be from one another, just as you mentioned.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete